14 March 2011

List: Favorite Tracks From the Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-1968

All tracks available from the Columbia box set, which is a necessity for all jazz fans (especially considering it can be had for $33 at the Amazon mp3 store).
  • E.S.P., from E.S.P. Has any other band made a better opening statement? Perhaps, but I doubt it. At the end of the tune, Miles needs to drain his spit valve. To this day, whenever I hear the end of this track, my suppressed trumpet-player mind tells me to drain my spit valve, though I haven't picked up my horn in years.
More after the jump...
  • Little One, from E.S.P. Herbie also recorded this tune on Maiden Voyage. I prefer the version with Miles, but making that choice is quite like deciding between the Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Lagunitas IPA, you can't go wrong with either, both satisfy.
  • Agitation, from E.S.P. Tony Williams owns it.
  • Circle, from Miles Smiles.
  • Orbit, from Miles Smiles. An underrated Shorter composition.
  • Freedom Jazz Dance, from Miles Smiles.  Only three tunes not composed by quintet members were recorded by this group, Eddie Harris' Freedom Jazz Dance, Jimmy Heath's Gingerbread Boy, and Todd Williams' Black Comedy. All are stellar tunes. Miles knew how to select them.

  • Masqualero, from The Sorcerer.
  • Nefertiti, from Nefertiti. Also known as the tune with indecipherable changes.
  • Country Son, from Miles in the Sky.


  • Petits Machines, from Filles de Kilimanjaro.



See also: Remembering the First Miles Davis Quintet

No comments:

Stats