29 May 2009

Ornette's Children

The fiftieth anniversary of the recording of Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come has come and gone, and while other sites have offered their own tributes, I thought I would share an iTunes playlist I call "Ornette's Children." Some of the selections on the playlist are Coleman tunes reimagined by his artistic heirs, some are originals composed and performed by some of his disciples and former sidemen, and others are merely tunes that could not have happened without Ornette. I like to throw it on the iPod and shuffle it, so the tracks are in no particular order. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, just tracks from my own library that I particularly like.
What would you add to the list? Leave your suggestions in the comments.







1 comment:

Jon Turney said...

Hey David,

Chedck this out
http://freejazz-stef.blogspot.com/2008/03/aki-takase-silke-eberhard-ornette.html

Judging by your playlist, I reckon you'll like it as much as I do.

Seeing Ornette in London next weekend, with Charlie Haden (twice).
An enthralling prospect!

Stats