16 June 2010

About Those Jazz Nerds...

I was thinking about responding to this, but then Andrew Durkin shed some wisdom on the subject that I could not dispute:

Life is too short to spend time deconstructing specious arguments that rely on easily caricatured straw-men. Instead, I will quote Thelonious Monk.
Where's jazz going? I don't know. Maybe it’s going to hell. You can't make anything go anywhere. It just happens.
Update: I am also reminded of what Delmond Lambreaux of Treme (a jazz trumpeter based loosely on Christian Scott according to Patrick Jarenwattananon) said in episode 4 earlier this year: "Jazz hasn't run hot or cold since bebop. It just is, man."

2 comments:

Andrew Durkin said...

Great quote from Monk. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't see any jazz war going on, really, I don't. -- And if there is one, we musicians have no time to waste for such silly things.

"War is over ... if you want it." -- Happy Summer to all!

Swingin' best,

Brew

Stats