30 April 2010

King Porter Stomp

This morning's selection on the Songs from Treme tumblr was the original Jelly Roll Morton recording of King Porter Stomp, a tune that never gets old for me. Let's listen to some more versions of the classic, shall we?

I'm pretty sure I am required by law to start with Fletcher Henderson's arrangement for the Benny Goodman Orchestra:

More after the jump:
Here's Glenn Miller on a recording I had not heard before today:

This mid-30s version by the Teddy Hill Orchestra features a young Dizzy Gillespie on the trumpet solos, and is included in the wonderful RCA Gillespie set:

Here's a rare one, Sidney Bechet with the Dutch Swing College Orchester:

The Tetsuya Tatsumi Big Band plays a Gil Evans arrangement of the tune:

Are there any other gems I should know about?

No comments:

Stats