16 April 2011

Happy Record Store Day

Today is Record Store Day. This is just a hunch, but I imagine jazz fans are overrepresented in the community of vinyl fetishists (since we listen to a lot of old music, obvs.).

Rolling Stone has a slideshow of the 30 best record shops in America, so if you live near one of these stores, go check them out! There's nothing better than perusing the bargain bin at a shop like Amoeba Records, you never know what you'll find. Three of Rolling Stones' 30 selections are in my soon-to-be adopted home of Seattle, giving me yet another reason to look forward to my impending cross-country move.

I won't be heading to a record store today, since the only decent shop in Charlottesville doesn't have a bargain bin (it's my silent-but-futile protest). I will, however, be spinning a lot of vinyl this afternoon while I catch up on some unfinished posts and watch some basketball. Today's playlist:
  • Cannonball and Nat Adderley: Them Adderleys
  • Miles Davis: Saturday Night at The Blackhawk
  • Leo Kottke: My Feet are Smiling
  • Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsies
  • Thelonious Monk: Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins
  • Charles Lloyd Quartet: The Flowering

No comments:

Stats